Well it’s all going on!
A little earlier today the fire alarm went off, odd for a Sunday but this is a 24/7 facility, the weekly test is never at the same time/day. It continued for 5+ minutes, dang it’s loud and hurts my ears. Blissfully it stopped, only to go off again, okay that is definitely odd, it kept on ringing. I took the only evasive action I could and stuck my fingers in my ears, at least it stops the piercing shrill from hurting.
The alarm kept on ringing. Suddenly two carers arrive, a little flustered, “We’ve to evacuate everyone”
“The main kitchen oven has caught fire”
Well some like the roast spuds crispy but maybe not that crispy!
I shuffled onto my faithful old shower chair and was wheeled out through the fire exit, down the ramp to the summerhouse where my face would be in shade. Parked, I waited. (Side note, still no sling so I can be hoisted into the wheelchair).
Several other residents who had been congregating in the communal dining room ready for their Sunday roast were obviously distressed and unsettled. Such an anxiety trigger for some, confusing an already confused mental state for others. Me, I’m sitting there thinking, I’m either going to get stung by something or sunburnt.
It seemed an eternity before the fire brigade gave the all clear. In no hurry I told the carers to settle the others first, I was quite content in the sun/shade. How quickly the anxious residents switched from the fear of fire to what will there be for my lunch now, lol.
Anyway, I’m back in the flat, contemplating nibbling a digestive or two.
Apparently, as Cook went to get the tray of roasties from the oven, the fat ignited, so he shut the oven, turned it off and telephoned a colleague off site asking what to do. The oven continued to smoke which triggered the fire alarm. It was a young carer who shouted for him to call the fire brigade and grabbed the correct extinguisher to use, as well as alerting colleagues, putting procedures in motion.