Whilst cogitating the meaning of life in bed this chilled morning as I awaited my modern day Florence Nightingale to arrive, a thought drifted across my mind, settled down and grew. The nightmare pitfalls of an English Cream Tea.
There are numerous areas that are likely, in some circles, to instigate some rather heated debates.
- Which tea? Breakfast, Earl or Lady Grey, LapSang
- Is it milk first or tea first
- Is it a cream tea or afternoon tea (there is a difference, apparently)
- Is it pronounced scone (sk-own rhymes with cone) or scone (sk-on rhymes with gone)
- And the biggee, jam or cream first
Wars have started over less.
I think I’ll stick with my black coffee and sausage roll, that cannot court controversy …. hang on …… bugger.