01 May

Over the past few days I ave been getting to grips with rebuilding my website that I accidentally managed to delete.  Rather than use any fancy program that is on the iMac, or download an app or such like I decided to use the ‘site builder’ function on my hosts server.  There are numerous designs to try and most have been produced to work easily on all platforms.

It is nice putting it back together, weeding out the crap and stuff that is going to need constant maintaining.  I have decided not to include any photo albums of my last trips, they get tired easily and well, it is not like it is getting much visiting traffic.  It is scaled down to a simple home page bio, a page about my genealogy experiences, and I am currently working on my sailing pages.

The initial page has been toned down and I have moved across two of my sailing logs.  Each entry has an associated photo which all need to be uniformly sized, same with the heading and entry type.  Curiously with trip three’s log there were a couple of entries missing from the original so i had to root about my backed up back ups and find the missing days and source a new photo.

It is quite time consuming but at least there is none of that confusing html code to work through.

Feeling rather exhausted – I have also found a neat jog-saw game to amuse, medium sized puzzles take up 10 minutes where the hard ones take more like 45.


Posted by on May 1, 2015 in General, Projects


Tags: ,

5 responses to “Rebuilding

  1. Bushka

    May 1, 2015 at 4:05 pm

    Keeps you busy…and out of ‘mischief’….:)):)) Hugs! xxx


    • amgroves

      May 5, 2015 at 1:18 pm

      Mischief!?! Moi?!? I cannot imagine what you are thinking of 😀


  2. menhir

    May 1, 2015 at 4:28 pm

    Busy, busy. Do the Apple web builders use html or was that some other link up?

    It does sound as if your accidental deletion of the previous site might have done you a favour, allowing you a root and branch refit.


    • amgroves

      May 5, 2015 at 1:26 pm

      iWeb was very similar to the old desk top publishing thing that were all the range at one time. Essentially a visual editor that gave consistency across all pages with the background, layout, graphics etc but when you ‘published’ the site it coded it in css/text/html format ready for uploading to your chosen server and job done. The organisation of files and folders to create the individual pages and their respective settings, graphics, content was strongly directory,subdirectory based.

      The musicians site which I wrote from a blank sheet myself, I feel, is much more logically packaged – but I am a logically minded person.

      The site builder that I am using via the www that is available through my host companies server is again, visually based, but is must more straight forward with blocks of content type and how to be consistent across all pages. At the moment everything is already saved on the server, when I am done I will download the files as a back-up and it will be interesting to see how that organises things.

      I will make up some screen grabs to show what I mean and post them on the blog for you to see.


      • menhir

        May 5, 2015 at 3:07 pm

        Sounds like a DOS based system, much as MS is/was.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: