RSS

by eck that were a bang

22 Jun

oven

Cleaning the oven has always been something I could not tackle, I have never had the strength, dexterity or reach to be able to do it.  I do not use my oven that often but it has an integral grill which despite best efforts does cause bits to spit and an unclean oven after a while gets that odorous greasy smell.  It was bugging me, one of those jobs to try and get done without knowing exactly how to.

When bestest moved house they got someone in to degrease the oven [they were intending to rent out their property] and they did a pukka job of it.  Self I thought, you could get someone in to do that job, so last week I thumbed through yell.com and found a local company who clean commercial and domestic kitchens, I called them and the booking was made.

Very pleasant fellow called Neil arrived in a bright red emblazoned van and he set to with his potions to clean away.  I sat busy working [honest I was, not on facebook you have me confused with another].  Then there was a rather loud crack and bang.  Trip switch flicked and then eerie quiet and a general sense of WTF!!

Neil came through holding a bit of burnt wire – “erm, I never had that happen before!”  Electrician was called – “erm thats not supposed to happen” [listen boys, this is me and mine, anything is possible].  A few heads were scratched thinking of what could have caused the shorting and what to do about it.

Electrician came out today, he fiddled and tweaked and diagnosed a factory fault in the construction.  The wire leading from the thermostat to the probe in the oven should either be encased in non-conductive material or fixed to the outer casing of the oven to prevent electricity from travelling where it should not and potentially killing the cook and on my oven there was no evidence of either!!

How many of these mass produced ovens are around the globe with this potential!!!

STATUS:  Oven disconnected, can now use hob and microwave, but no grilling or ovening until new thermostat has been fitted which will happen as soon as the part is in.

Remember the family motto – if it wasn’t for bad luck we’d have no luck at all – never dull round ere!

Advertisements
 
3 Comments

Posted by on June 22, 2011 in Uncategorized

 

Tags:

3 responses to “by eck that were a bang

  1. Gordon Ramsay

    June 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm

    Ha Ha!! I think this is God’s way of telling you to order take out!!

    Like

     
    • amgroves

      June 24, 2011 at 10:07 am

      Kim is coming over this weekend, I told her the menu is KFC, fish & chips, pizza, chinese, indian or kebabs and its a fetch it ya self jobbie :o)

      Like

       
  2. gelschter User

    November 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm

    Wow, I’m glad you called an electrician or the short could have caused a fire! Sound like something that happened to me when I resided in Oregon. The blasted oven wouldn’t work and I had to call a Portland electrician to come out and see why, as I am not mechanically inclined. He came out and found two wires that were connected that should not have been. The electrician told me if I had used the oven just a few more times, it could have caused a short, or worse, a fire.

    Like

     

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: